Saturday, July 14, 2012

Canada Day ...

For those playing at home Canada Day is the day Canada celebrates being Canada, hmmm is there enough Canada's in this sentence? 

This is what Wikipedia has to say on the topic ...
Canada Day (French: Fête du Canada) is the national day of Canada, a federal statutory holiday celebrating the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act, 1867 (today called the Constitution Act, 1867, in Canada), which united three colonies into a single country called Canada within the British Empire.Originally called Dominion Day (French: Le Jour de la Confédération), the name was changed in 1982, the year the Canada Act was passed. Canada Day observances take place throughout Canada as well as by Canadians internationally.
Ok now that we got that out of the way, I started my day with catching up on my back log of doing nothing. If you read my previous blog post you will know that I had a fun filled afternoon and had to post pone me doing nothing till Canada Day morning as Kim would be at work and I could do it in peace.

Some skanks getting their Canada Day on ...
Me and Kim in Canadian Colours
Once Kim got home we had a few celebratory drink on the back deck before getting ready to embrace 'Canada Day' in the Nation's Capital. This involved getting our red and white clothing out and catching a bus to downtown Ottawa. About half the city had the same idea and there was hundreds of thousands of people in downtown Ottawa it was a sea of red and white. Our destination was Parliament Hill where a free concert was being held and our mission was to find Kim's mate in this sea of Red and White. We finally found her and settled in for a pretty good concert that included a performance from a local Montreal band 'Simple Plan' and due to this performance I like them even more as they can actually sing. They also had fireworks at the end of the concert however as pretty as they where I was very disappointed. We where told that they will be behind the parliament building which they where. The only problem was that they where coming from the river and if you been in Ottawa you will know that Parliament Hill (the hint is in the name) sits about 100m above the river. So all the explosions happened right behind the building and we couldn't see much. Oh well we know for next year now.All in all it was a really fun night and I really wish we have a 'New Zealand Day' but I will leave that rant for my next post.

I have a video of the fireworks but as my Parentals internet is a snail pedaling a hamster wheel youtube don't want to play along so stay tuned for it.


Stage in front of the Parliament building
Parliament Building with light display

Clock Tower

Parliament Hill






No comments:

Post a Comment