Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Surprise visit to Victoria, BC

Ottawa Airport
So if you are unfortunate enough to follow me on Facebook you know that I am in New Zealand now and that I did the whole thing very secret squirrel like. Only a select few people knew I was coming home and the rest found out when I turned up at their doors. However when I first flew to Canada I flew Auckland, Vancouver, Victoria and since I was using that return ticket to fly home I had to fly out of Victoria again. Now for me going to Victoria is never a problem I love that city.

I went to Thomas Cook our local travel agent in the Gloucester Center here in the Nations Capital. It does remind me of visiting your Auntie who has doilies on everything. But long story short I booked my tickets to Victoria via Toronto. So at this point the lying started and I pretended to be flying to Toronto for a job interview with promise that I will fill in all my friends and family about my progress. My sister and Auntie even played along with the lie and no one was any wiser that I was full of shit. After about 7 hours of flying sitting in airports and listening to screaming kids I was finally in Victoria and back to my favourite place of residence the Ocean Island Backpackers.

Unbeknown to me it was Pride Week in Victoria ending with the parade on the 8th July the day which I would be flying out of Victoria New Zealand Bound. However luck would have it that the parade was at noon and my flight at 6pm enough time to watch the parade get drunk and board a flight pretending to be sober, that however was the Sundays problem.

I arrived in Victoria on Friday the 6th and went for a long stroll along the waterfront I didn't realise exactly how much I missed being near the ocean. The sea weed smell which I would have dismissed as a smelly smell any other day actually excited me along with the seagulls screams. I finished of the day with din dins at my favourite restaurant Cafe Mexico on Store Street (they got Om nom nom nom Mango Martini's) and then off to Paparazzi I went, to go and surprise my Victorian Peepz. Mr Glover respond was "you fucking lying bastard, your meant to be in Toronto" but I was quickly forgive and the Appleton drinking continued.

The next day I strolled down to Beacon Hill Park which sits on the edge of dowtown Victoria. To my surprise there was a free concert being held in the park as part of their summer events calendar. After sitting and enjoying the sun Mr Glover joined me in the park where we probably sat for close to an hour listening to some really good live music. After we couldn't take sitting on the hard ground anymore we went for a wander around James Bay with a brief stop at one of Mr Glover's friends then of to the bar again for preparations for the next day, the parade.

View from Mr Glover's Condo
 The next day I met Mr Glover outside the gay bar and we wandered downtown to find a good position to watch the parade. This was my first Pride Parade ever as up until recently I was very against them but that is a rant for another day. I actually really enjoyed the parade and kind of wished it was longer. Once the parade past us we joint the crowd in following it down the road to the sports ground where there was a market and stage set up. Once both me and Mr Glover got board of the market we wandered back to the bar where I had a few last Appletons before sadly having to catch a taxi to the airport and of to my next destination New Zealand. I really enjoyed my stay in Victoria and can't wait for my next visit there. the city really has a hold on my and when I'm away I miss it like I miss my home. The future only knows if I will ever actually live there but fingers crossed.

Below is some more photos but first here is a video of the whole parade at 38:40 I think you can see my walking with everyone behind the parade... :P

Till Laterz ...


VW we saw on our walk

At the Market thingy in the park after the parade thing
My Plane back to NZ
Papz float

2 comments: